I'm going to try to update weekly, and Wednesdays seem like good days for that :) (note: I wrote this on Wednesday but sucked about getting a photo so it was posted on Friday. d'oh)
Hmmm... I think it'll be too difficult to back-track to May and list all my projects, so I'll just start off from about this point on.

It was a kick-ass class. I learned a ton, and made a few really awesome pieces. I liked the class so much that I signed up for the fall session! I'm not sure if I'll take classes beyond this one, but we'll see. I'm so excited for more classes and making more jewelry. Metal is a new medium to me (unfortunately an expensive one) but its very satisfying and I hope to learn and explore more.
In yarn-related crafts I currently have 3 projects in progress: A pair of Hearts and Flowers socks made with Tofutsies, a Maire Riding Jacket (I forget which yarn is being used. something awesome), and another Snowflake Afghan from Cascade 220 as a class sample.
The Tofutsies used to be a preferred yarn for me, but after finishing the Knotty or Knice socks in Madeline Tosh sock it just feels like burlap in comparison to the delightful softness of the Tosh. Damn you and your awesome yarn! I'm nearly done with the first sock but its a sometimes project and I only get in a few rows now & then. I'll admit, I'm not super psyched about it so its not something I want to make. But at this point I've gone too far so I'll just plow through & finish eventually.
Speaking of going too far, I'd gotten through the beginning cable embellishments on the Maire jacket when I realized I'd not understood the pattern directions and missed several rows of decrease. Well, crap. I thought about just starting the decreases then and plowing through, but the cable design would make it show and it would look like crap. I tried to tink back, but it was slow going and I'd have to tink back across 300 stitches for 10 rows. No thank you. So I tried to put in a lifeline and rip back, but with the cable pattern it was really difficult to figure out where to pick up stitches and it was proving to be just a big ol' mess. So I poked at people on Ravelry for advice and the consensus was to frog it. So, off to the pond it went! Frogged back to the i-cord cast on, re-picked up stitches, and now it lays in wait for me to start the meat of the jacket again. I'm sad to have to start over, but I don't want this to look like crap so better to lose some time and re-do than have something that's unsatisfying.
The snowflake afghan is a repeat pattern. I made a lap blanket sized one for my sister years back when I first got really into yarn crafts. Its a simple pattern, and I thought would make a great crochet class. I try to make about 1 hexagon a day and then occasionally sew them together. Not sure how big the final product will be, depends on how tired I get of making hexagons. Hopefully someone signs up for the class...
Teaching has been going well. Every class I learn more and figure out good/bad approaches & techniques. Hopefully the students are learning well and enjoying themselves--everyone seems to have a good time and leaves smiling :) I've also had a few kid's classes and I think I'm getting a grasp on good approaches to children's teaching. Not much different than adults, but a little simpler and more giggles.

No comments:
Post a Comment